Search This Blog

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Celtic Folk Magic: Food part 1

It's pretty much common knowledge that I have a strong interest in folk magic, particulalry Irish and Celtic, although I also study other types like Pow-wow and Hoodoo (I'm not sure I'd categorize seidhr as folk magic). My interest is not purely academic; while I am interested in it from that perspective as well my main focus is learning how to use it, both the traditional material and creating new charms that are in the same spirit. I have found the Camrina Gadelica to be a treasure trove of Celtic folk magic charms and also a wonderful way to learn more about the theory and approach that makes Celtic folk magic uniquely Celtic. Obviously for my purposes the Carmina Gadelica is overly Christian and so I end up adapting the material by removing the current deity references and replacing them with ones more fitting to my own approach, although there is an abundance of material that is useable as is. I am also comfortable creating new material that I feel is in the same spirit of traditional Celtic folk magic and I am going to include and example in this blog.
  One of the things that I like the most about the Celtic approach to folk magic is that it encompasses every aspect of daily living. There are few activities that seem exempt from the inclusion of a charm or ritual song and that really appeals to me. One of the ways that I do this is with food - I sing a little charm whenever I am mixing anything I am cooking, even something as simple as making Kool-aide. Food is a basic need, something we all depend on for survival, and something that we can easily add a blessing and good word to while it's being prepared. I stir dieseal, clockwise with the sun, the direction of blessing, focusing loving energy and thoughts of abundance and good health through the spoon and into the mix and sing something simple along the lines of:
"I bless this food with love and health
Round with the moon, round with the sun
I bless this food with all good things
Round with the moon, round with the sun"
 It's easy to do, it's fun for my children, and I firmly believe that it adds something good to everything we eat. And I think it is in the spirit of traditional Celtic folk magic, even though the words and actions are new.

No comments:

Post a Comment