Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Examples of a yarrow blessing charm from the Carmina Gadelica

Possibly one of the best resources for modern Celtic practioners is Carmichael's Carmina Gadelica, a collection of prayers and charms that was gathered in Scotland during the 19th century. Much of the material is Christian but with strong native Celtic themes; this lends itself nicely to modern adaption and the replacement of the Christian parts of the material with pagan elements. Of course in some cases it is possible to simply remove the Christian deity and saint references and use the prayer or charm without them, but in others some type of replacement is required to keep from losing the intrinsic intent of the piece. There is at least one neopagan attempt at doing this out there, and my own book took a specifically Irish pagan approach. Below I am giving an example of what I am talking about, with a blessing charm used to bring increase into someone's life. I'll first showing the original charm from the Carmina Gadelica and then two different possibel alternate versions. As with all such charms this one should be said while picking or harvesting yarrow (as described in the opening lines of the spoken charm), conveying a blessing on the plant, which would then be carried, worn, or kept in the home (or barn) to achieve the desired effect. In a modern setting I know some people who will also recite similar style charm while burning yarrow for the same purpose.

Spell of Counteracting 153

I WILL pluck the gracious yarrow
That Christ plucked with His one hand.
The High King of the angels
Came with His love and His countenance above me.
Jesus Christ came hitherward
With milk, with substance, with produce,
With female calves, with milk product.
On small eye, on large eye,
Over Christ's property.
In name of the Being of life
Supply me with Thy grace,
The crown of the King of the angels
To put milk in udder and gland,
With female calves, with progeny.
May you have the length of seven years
Without loss of calf, without loss of milk,
Without loss of means or of dear friends.
   - Carmina Gadelica, volume 2

Spell of Counteracting 153
I will pluck the gracious yarrow
That Brighid plucked with her hand.
The gracious Lady of Healing
Came with her lovely face above me.
Bright Brighid came towards me,
With milk, with substance, with produce,
With female calves, with milk product.
In the name of the Beings of life
Supply me with your abundance,
The blessings of the Lady of the well
To put milk in udder and gland,
With female calves, with progeny.
May you have the length of seven years
Without loss of calf, without loss of milk,
Without loss of means or of dear friends.
   - By Land, Sea, and Sky

Spell of Counteracting 153 version 2

I will pluck the gracious yarrow
That Brighid plucked with her hand.
The gracious Lady of Healing
Came with her lovely face above me.
Blessed Brighid came towards me,
With abundance, with substance, with prosperity,
With sustanance, with all that I need.
In the name of the Gods of Skill
Supply me with your abundance,
The blessings of the Lady of the Well
On the hard work of my hands,
With sustanance, with all that I need.
May you have the length of seven years
Without loss of work, without loss of income,
Without loss of means or of dear friends

In the same way this charm could be redone in the name of a different deity that the person speaking felt was more appropriate or better suited. For example:

I will pluck the gracious yarrow
That an Dagda plucked with his hand.
The generous God of all good Skills
Came with his smiling face towards me.
Eochu Ollathair came towards me,
With abundance, with substance, with prosperity,
With sustanance, with all that I need.
In the name of the People of Art
Supply me with your abundance,
May the keeper of the ever full cauldron
Bless the hard work of my hands,
With sustanance, with all that I need.
May you have the length of seven years
Without loss of work, without loss of income,
Without loss of means or of dear friends

No comments:

Post a Comment