Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year Blessing

     Today I start my (secular) New Year by walking through my house smudging with a blend of Juniper, Rosemary, and Vervain to bless my home. As I do this I will say a prayer based on one from the Carmina Gadelica.

*the following is excerpted from my book By Land, Sea, and Sky:

This prayer is commonly said first thing in the morning of the first day of the new year (Carmichael, 1900).
This prayer is meant to be said on the first day of the New Year, whenever you believe that is. It is a request for a fresh start in a fresh year and blessings on the person, their family, and home.

Blessing of the New Year 67


Gods, bless to me this new day,
Never seen by me before;
As I bless You on this morning,
Embracing the time I am given.
Bless my two eyes,
May my eyes bless all I see;
I will bless my neighbor,
May my neighbor bless me.
Gods, give me a clean start,
Let me remain under your protection
;
Bless my children
 and my husband, 
And bless my life and my possessions.

Reference
Carmichael, A., (1900). Carmina Gadelica volume 1

No comments:

Post a Comment