Search This Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Justice Charms


These are charms from the Carmina Gadelica that have been modernized and made pagan. They can be used to help gain justice or to win in court, or to otherwise overcome legal difficulties. The person wishing to perform these charms should go before dawn to a place where three streams meet. Just as the sun is rising the person should make a cup of his hands and dip them into the water where the stream meet then wash his face with it, saying the prayer below. Afterwards he should proceed to court and when entering the building should look all around the room then say silently or quietly “Gods bless this place, from floor to roof, my word above every other and the words of all others beneath my feet.” (Carmichael, 1900).

Invocation for Justice 20

I will wash my face
In the nine rays of the sun,
As a Goddess washes her Son
     In the rich fermented milk.
Love be in my countenance,
Benevolence in my mind,
Dew of honey in my tongue,
     My breath as the incense.
Black is yonder town,
Black are those therein,
I am the white swan
,
     Queen above them.
I will travel in the name of my Gods,
In the likeness of a deer, in the likeness of a horse,
In the likeness of a serpent, in the likeness of a king:
     Stronger will it be with me than with all others.
***

Invocation for Justice 21

Gods, I am bathing my face
In the nine rays of the sun,
As a goddess might bathe her Son
     In generous milk fermented.
Sweetness be in my face,
Riches be in my countenance,
Comb-honey be in my tongue,
     My breath as the incense.
Black is yonder house,
Blacker men therein;
I am the white swan
,
     Queen over them.
I will go in the name of my Gods,
In the likeness of a deer, in the likeness of a horse,
In the likeness of a serpent, in the likeness of a king,
     I am more victorious than all others.

  - excerpted from By Land, Sea, and Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment