Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Prayers for Lughnasa

Prayers for Lughnasa based on the Carmina Gadelica

Reaping Blessing 90
On Tuesday at the rise of the sun,
With the back of the ear of corn to the east,
I will go forth with my sickle under my arm,
And I will reap the harvest
 of my land.
I will let my sickle down
While the fruitful ear is in my grasp,
I will raise my eye upwards,
I will turn on my heel quickly,
Rightway as travels the sun
From the airt of the east to the west,
From the airt of the north with motion calm
To the very core of the airt of the south.
I will give thanks to the Gods who bless me
For the growing crops of the ground,
Who give food to us and to the flocks
And I will offer the first of my harvest to them
 - excerpted from By Land, Sea, and Sky

Reaping Blessing 90, Alternate
On Lughnasa at the rise of the sun,
With the sun rising, warm, in the east,
I will go forth into the morning light,
And I will reap the harvest
 I have sown.
I will stand under the open sky
With the fruitful earth all around me,
I will raise my eye upwards,
I will turn on my heel quickly,
Rightway as travels the sun
From the airt of the east to the west,
From the airt of the north with motion calm
To the very core of the airt of the south.
I will give thanks to the Gods who bless me
For the growing crops of the ground,
Who give food to us and to the flocks
I will give thanks to the Gods who bless me
For the harvest that flourishes in my life
Whatever that harvest may be
And I will offer to them, sharing what I have



No comments:

Post a Comment