Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

A Protection Charm

I've mentioned before - and blogged before - about how I like to take material from the Carmina Gadelica and make it something I can use by taking out the Christian references and adding in pagan ones. Here is another example from volume 2 of the CG, a protection charm. The original is:

THE 'FIONN-FAOILIDH 155*

I PLACE the 'fionn-faoilidh' on me,
To drain wrath empty,
To preserve to me my fame,
While I shall live on earth.
O Michael! grasp my hand,
Vouchsafe to me the love of God,
If there be ill-will or ill-wish in mine enemy,
Christ be between me and him,
     Oh, Christ between me and him!
If there be ill-will or ill-wish concerning me,
Christ be between me and it,
     Oh, Christ between me and it!

The name means, roughly, "the bright joy": Fionn - white, bright, Faoilidh - joyful, glad, cheerful, although it can't really be directly translated. The point of the charm seems to be to protect the speaker from anger, ill will and envy. I like the concept of this charm but obviously wouldn't use it as is, and simply removing all the Christian references would take out too much of the charm. The version I use I changed Michael to ancestors and Christ to protection because those seemed like the most logical alterations.

My version is:
I place the bright joy on myself,
To drain wrath empty,
To preserve my good name,
While I shall live on earth.
O ancestors grasp my hand,
Be with me as I journey through life,
If there be ill-will or ill-wish in my enemy,
Protection be between me and him,
     Oh, protection between me and him!
If there be ill-will or ill-wish concerning me,
Protection be between me and it,
     Oh, protection between me and it!

No comments:

Post a Comment