Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Power Song

 Sometimes I'm reminded of how very different my beliefs are from most mainstream pagans today, and it can be a bit depressing. I feel rather like a relic from some archeological dig on days like this. So to cheer myself up I was contemplating the Song of Amergin* and how it could have been a song of power, where the speaker is claiming a connection to specific things to empower themselves and I ended up writing my own version. It's inspired off of the Song of Amergin, clearly, and still a bit rough, but I like it enough to share it.
   "I am an earth-bound whirlwind
  I am the breeze that makes leaves dance
  I am a wind in the night
  I am a wave shaping the shore
  I am a bear with many cubs
  I am a raven singing omens
  I am a horse of three colors
  I am a hind in pathless woods
  I am a hawk defending her nest
  I am a stone of healing
  I am moonlight on water
  I am the depths of a racing river
  I am a lone Hawthorn, blooming in a field"

 Each line has special, personal significance, as well as connecting me to the different things in nature that I find empowering. If you were going to write your own what would you say? What would you identify with and why?

One version of the original Song of Amergin is:
"I am the wind on the sea;
I am the wave of the sea;
I am the bull of seven battles;
I am the eagle on the rock
I am a flash from the sun;
I am the most beautiful of plants;
I am a strong wild boar;
I am a salmon in the water;
I am a lake in the plain;
I am the word of knowledge;
Iam the head of the spear in battle;
I am the god that puts fire in the head;
Who spreads light in the gathering on the hills?
Who can tell the ages of the moon?
Who can tell the place where the sun rests?" (Gregory, 1904).
 Although check out the Celtic Myth Podshow page here for the original Irish and a variety of alternate translations. 

 Reference 
Gregory, A., (1904) Gods and Fighting Men

1 comment:

  1. I know the feeling. There's a reason that so many of us are moving away from calling ourselves "pagan" anymore.

    That's an interesting exercise. Hm…

    I am a pool of unknown depths. I am a wind of knives. I am a fox in his burrow. I am a boar in rage.

    Just a start. I'll have to think on this.

    ReplyDelete