Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Augury Charm

  Augury, omens, and divination are very important to my practice, as I believe not only that they allow us to communicate with the gods and spirits but also that such methods are useful for providing needed answers. In Scottish tradition augury was used especially to find lost items (Carmichael, 1900). I have adapted several augury and omen charms from the Carmina Gadelica to my own use because I feel that using these charms is in the spirit of the ancient traditions and not only improves my skill but also strengthens my connection to the Gods and spirits. In this blog I'm going to include a couple version of an augury charm I use when practicing teinm laida, a type of Irish seership.
   This first one is a quick version that I often use, shortened from a longer one which I will post following it.
"Gods over me, Gods under me,
Gods before me, Gods behind me,
Knowledge of truth, not knowledge of falsehood,
That I shall truly see all I search for.
Kindly spirits and Gods of life,
May you give me eyes to see all I seek,
May I see and speak truly"   I tend to use the longer version specifically when I am doing divination work with any of the Morrigan, and have used their names to replace the original Christian references. The longer version is:
Augury Charm 194
"Gods over me, Gods under me,
Gods before me, Gods behind me,
I am walking your path, O Gods,
     The path of the ancient ways.
The augury made of Badh at the end of battle,
The prophecy made by Macha after clearing the plain,
Witnessed by the Gods and unGods-
     Witnessed by the ancestors and spirits.
The augury made by Morrigan of the future,
Of what was yet to come,
Knowledge of truth, not knowledge of falsehood,
     That I shall truly see all I seek.
Goddesses of prophecy,
Give me eyes to see all I seek,
With vision that shall never fail, before me,
     That shall never quench nor dim."

The original charm from the Carmina Gadelica is:
AUGURY OF MARY 194
GOD over me, God under me,
God before me, God behind me,
I on Thy path, O God,
     Thou, O God, in my steps.
The augury made of Mary to her Son,
The offering made of Bride through her palm,
Sawest Thou it, King of life?--
     Said the King of life that He saw.
The augury made by Mary for her own offspring,
When He was for a space amissing,
Knowledge of truth, not knowledge of falsehood,
     That I shall truly see all my quest.
Son of beauteous Mary, King of life,
Give Thou me eyes to see all my quest,
With grace that shall never fail, before me,
     That shall never quench nor dim.
 (Carmichael, 1900)

Reference:
 Carmichael, A., (1900). Carmina Gadelica


No comments:

Post a Comment