Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

When The Gods Speak

   Something I see all the time is people saying that they don't understand people who say that the Gods talk to them, or that people who say it are looking for attention or delusional. Well, certainly that is sometimes the case and I'm not denying that, but I also think that the Gods do speak to us all the time and we just don't listen. Maybe its the fact that one of my main focuses is Seership but I think it is important to learn to hear the Gods. We've been taught not to listen, not to pay attention to the signs and omens around us that can be their voice. They speak and we ignore.
   Now when I say speak I'm not necessarily talking about perceptible voices, although if you do trance work that is possible, but I mean speak in a looser sense. Speak as in communicate. The Gods communicate with us regularly and we can learn to listen if we learn to be aware. The Celts were very big believers in omens and augury, the idea that things that happened around us - birds flying a certain way at a certain time for example - had significance, and omens and augury are still a wonderful method of communication. The key is to be aware of what is going on around you, especially when you are looking for or asking for a message. Learn to recognize the way that your Gods communicate and to interpret the messages they give you.
   Several years ago I was contemplating starting to honor Nuada more devoutly. I had asked him if this was something he wanted and something I should do. Driving home a day or two after asking I was on a road that runs parallel to a river. As I drove a bald eagle clutching a fish in its talons flew over my car and began pacing me, about fifteen or twenty feet above me and just far enough ahead that I could see him - perhaps ten feet in front of my car. Water and blood dripped on my hood and windshield; he flew like that for several seconds, until the road curved and he flew back towards the river. I could have said it was just a cool experience, but I knew that hawks and salmon are animals associated with Nuada, and in this case I interpreted the very odd occurrence involving a bird of prey and a fish, next to a river (also something Nuada is associated with) as relating to him. I saw it as an omen, and I listened.
   The Gods speak to all of us, all the time, but mostly we ignore them. We turn away. We explain away what we see and look away from the omens and signs while staring at the sky asking for answers. We expect fireworks and booming voices, so we ignore the subtle whispers and signs. If you want to hear the Gods all you have to do is learn to pay attention and listen.

2 comments:

  1. There's a part in The Messenger where Joan is sitting in her cell, waiting to be tried and later to be executed, where she envisions a visitor who seems to be the Adversary. He asks her how she knew that God was talking to her, and she tells him about the storm, and the vision of dancing, and the sword she found in the field. He looks incredulously at her and asks her, "A sword? In a field? And I suppose that there was no other way for it to get there." He goes on to describe a half-dozen more likely scenarios, and points out that she chose the least likely: that God had put it there for her to find so that she would lead the French against the English invaders.

    But that's just it. This communication almost always looks like nothing to other people. It's like dreams. To us, they are sometimes meaningful and profound, but when we tell others, it's just a jumble of images. They aren't the ones being communicated with, after all, so they don't see the message.

    While I chose a dramatic version of the story, that is just to illustrate the point, of course. The actual Joan saw visions of several Saints, but the effect is still the same: no one else could see her visions. Some historians even seem to believe that she was actually lying about them to cover up state secrets, or some such skullduggery - the idea is just so alien to them. And yet, with her visions to guide her, she performed near-miraculous things, winning stunning victories (and remember that she was a 19 year old, illiterate, peasant girl) where the French commanders were unable to even break even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and that's the thing with personal gnosis as well - things that are profoundly moving and meaningful to the individual often don't translate well to words for others. Our messages are just that - ours.

      Delete