Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2016

A Prayer of Personal Power

Experimenting with a little translation of a different sort. There's an excerpt from one of the Carmina Gadelica prayers making the rounds (without credit to the source of course*) and when I took another look at the original Gaidhlig I realized that Carmichael's translation was more poetic than literal. I don't have any Gaidhlig myself but it's close enough to Sengoidelc that I can actually read it most of the time, and I could see certain things jumping out. I decided for fun to do my own translation with the help of Am Faclair Beag.

Here's the original:
Eolas A Bheum Shula 141 excerpt
Ta neart gaoith agam air,
Ta neart fraoich agam air,
Ta neart teine agam air,
Ta neart torruinn agam air,
Ta neart dealain agam air,
Ta neart gaillinn agam air,
Ta neart gile agam air,
Ta neart greine agam air,
Ta neart nan reul agam air,
Ta neart nan speur agam air,
Ta neart nan neamh
Is nan ce agam air,
     Neart nan neamh
     Is nan ce agam air.
 - Carmina Gadelica

And Carmichael's translation:
Exorcism of the Evil Eye, excerpt:
Power of wind I have over it,
Power of wrath I have over it,
Power of fire I have over it,
Power of thunder I have over it,
Power of lightning I have over it,
Power of storms I have over it,
Power of moon I have over it,
Power of sun I have over it,
Power of stars I have over it,
Power of firmament I have over it,
Power of the heavens
And of the worlds I have over it,
     Power of the heavens
     And of the worlds I have over it.


My literal translation would be:
 I have strength of wind on me against it
I have strength of ferocity on me against it
I have strength of fire on me against it
I have strength of thunder on me against it
I have strength of lightning on me against it
I have strength of storms on me against it
I have strength of the moon on me against it
I have strength of the sun on me against it
I have strength of the stars on me against it
I have strength of the sky on me against it
I have strength of the heavens
   and of the earth on me against it
I have strength of the heavens
   and of the earth on me against it

This reminded me strongly of the shielding and lorica style prayers and so inspired me to also adapt this more poetic version which would be useful not only in the context of removing the evil eye but also for general protective purposes:
  I have the strength of wind,
I have the strength of ferocity
I have the strength of fire,
I have the strength of thunder,
I have the strength of lightning,
I have the strength of storms,
I have the strength of the moon,
I have the strength of the sun
I have the strength of the stars,
I have the strength of sky ,
Strength of the heavens
And of the world have I,
     Strength of the heavens
     And of the world have I.


References:
Am Faclair Beag http://www.faclair.com/
Carmina Gadelica volume 2 http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/cg2/cg2023.htm



*for those who don't know the Carmina Gadelica is probably the most widely plagiarized material I see in the Celtic pagan and general witchcraft communities. People constantly post pieces of material from it either altered to be more pagan and then labeled "ancient" or using Carmichael's translations word for word but the person circulating it claiming to have written it.

Copyright 2016 M. Daimler

No comments:

Post a Comment